By 1956 Porsche had a production number of 10,000 cars and their raceworthiness had often been proven on track and on long rallies. Multiple victories and podium finishes in the illustrious Carrera Panamericana gave them the idea to create a model of the 356 with the engine from the 550 Spyder.
They installed a slightly down-tuned version of the complicated 1.5 liter engine developed by Dr. Ernst Fuhrmann into the 356, and so the 356 GS was born. The engine itself is a true technical feat, the assembly alone took 120 hours, by an experienced engine builder !! The car was presented at the Frankfurt Motor show with the name Carrera, a name that is still associated with the fast production cars from Porsche!
The new engine, 100 hp strong, could be ordered in all 356A models, the coupe, convertible and speedster. The suspension was also not left untouched, with new improved torsion bars, larger shock absorbers and new “bump stops”. The engine was known for its reliability coupled with good performance. Only a few small indications on the outside such as the golden Carrera logos indicated that this car could easily reach 190 km/h.
The example we offer here left the factory on 03/06/1957 in the exterior color Silver metallic (code 608) with a red interior (code 330) and was destined for the Austrian market (the home of Porsche in the early years). From Austria the car went to Italy, where it stayed for a very long time. From Italy he moved to a southern French industrialist and found his last owner in Monaco.
The car is equipped with the compliant engine, type 547/1 and with all original components such as the carburettors, ignition, ... The colors are also matching as it came from the factory.